It’s been one heck of a year to have an extreme and extended winter season. Of course it would be the year that our living situation could be considered glorified camping. When we last posted, it was snowy, cold, and not much progress was being made. Until last week, it was STILL SNOWY, COLD, AND NOT MUCH PROGRESS WAS BEING MADE.
Luckily, we have had a turn in the weather, and thus an upturn in the level of progress around Edge Hill. Once the roof on the Little House was framed,
then we needed the expertise of our roofer. The next step was to put on a layer of roofing boards and top it with a layer of spray foam insulation. Our craftsman, Colon, had been communicating with the roofers, and we didn’t even realize that progress on the roof had been scheduled. We came home to find a glorious sight:
After the foam was installed, we still had to remove that pesky power line that was running through the second story of the addition.
Remember the DIGGING Chad did to create a trench for this step?
The weather held, and the line was buried just in time to keep the roofing project on schedule. It was one of those tasks that I thought might never happen – I thought we might just have a thick, black power line humming through our closet, which might not have been the safest idea. The house looks much better without it!
With that last obstacle removed, and with amazing weather (in reality, I think it was only 50 degrees and overcast, but it was dry and above freezing – it’s all relative), the metal roof was finally put in place.
One of the truck drivers even commented that it was starting to look like a building again.
Once the roof was on, Colon got busy installing our salvaged windows. First, he framed for the windows and cut holes in the exterior plywood according to our grand design.
(The two holes on the top are the last traces of the power line’s old route). Next, Colon created new window frames. Many of the original frames were either missing or too rotten to be saved.
One by one, Colon is now installing the windows into their respective holes. Here you can see the top two windows have been installed – minus the lower pane in the left window:
And here is the view from inside!
We still need to restore each of these windows with new paint and putty, but just getting them into place is a great feeling.
Today, we got more good news. The building inspector was on site and he approved the framing! We’ve heard building inspectors are usually wary of saw mill lumber because it does not come certified, but in our case, the engineer’s plans were more than enough to carry the day.
In addition to the house updates, a lot of our readers said they loved hearing about our chickens, and you’re in luck, because that saga has continued. One of the truck company employees enlightened us about the chickens’ origins; evidently, they were deported! One of the truck company’s livestock trucks returned to the farm empty and ready to be cleaned out. When the driver opened the trailer to spray it down, out marched THREE chickens! As you have probably surmised, Chad and I never laid eyes on Chicken #3 . . . (cue “The Circle of Life”).
The bad news is that, shortly after the last post, Chicken #2 vanished into thin air, as well. This caused a noticeable change in Blizzard’s morale, and we were resolved to find him some friends before the depression really set in. We purchased four hens over the phone, and then realized they would probably suffer the same fate as Chicken #2 and #3 if we didn’t build them a coop (as if we didn’t have enough to do). Chad immediately seized an opportunity to develop a new Google Sketchup masterpiece.
Two weekends ago, we had a surprise visit from some law school friends and we enlisted the cheap labor for the first half of the construction project. Thanks, Becky and Mark!
(New respect for our roofers – cutting these angles is no easy work!)
We ultimately moved the whole structure using the skidloader and placed it around the side of the house near our garden and water spigot. We had a close call unloading it, but all’s well that ends well:
We obviously still need to paint it, and we had an – ahem – temporary roof of black vapor barrier on just to get started. Our girls arrived before our roofers did! When the roofers came to put the big roof on the Little House, they also put a little roof on our chicken coop (apologies for the goofiness of the following candid):
The coop also has two perches and eight nesting boxes where the hens lay their eggs (of course all five of them use only one of the eight boxes):
The nesting boxes are on a slight angle so that a) the hens don’t get too comfortable in there, and b) so the eggs will roll to be back of the boxes for retrieval and avoid being pecked by the hens. There are also doors on the backs of the nesting boxes so we can snatch the eggs more easily:
We came home with four black copper French marans (black with red crests), which lay dark brown eggs that are supposedly great for cooking (they taste great to us!). The chicken man also threw in a mixed breed brown leghorn (pronounced “leggern” if you want to sound like you know what you’re talking about) for free, who is our spunky girl. She escaped within the first twenty-four hours and Chad had to seal crawl under the screened-in porch to rescue her. Good thing we found her in time – it turns out the crawl space under the screened-in porch is like the Elephant Graveyard in the Lion King . . . lots of bones down there . . .
Status update: Blizzard has made a full recovery and is loving his harem.